Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Autumn!

I love the month of October. Although I do not love the meaning behind Halloween I do love decorating my house and joining in the fun festivities.
Josh and I carved pumpkins, after we went with his brother JJ and his wife to the big 12 acre corn maze out at Cornbellies at thanksgiving point. This place would be so fun to take little kids. They have so much going on out there. They have pumpkin patches, hay rides, pig races, bounce houses, fire-pits where you can make smores, tons of Halloween decor (including a carved pumpkin tower), and for the older kids there are several different haunted mazes and walk-throughs. Neither Josh or I are into the haunted stuff so we stuck to the corn maze. It was actually really hard. Good think Josh is smart. He and JJ had it all figured out. I can never tell where we have already been. It really all looks the same to me but they did a good job of remembering which passages to take. (Plus we left rocks in the path to remind us where we have tried). It was a lot of fun. (You can see pictures on my facebook page or on our website.
This was the theme.
This year we had two Halloween parties to go to. The one on Saturday was not a dress up party but it was a lot of fun. We played apples to apples, carved pumpkins, ate caramel apples and watched my favorite Halloween movie Hocus Pocus. It was fun getting to know some of our friends in the ward.
Monday night Josh and I went to another Halloween party at our neighbors. We didn't know any of their friends but it was great getting to know everyone. We played the Newlywed game, Apples to Apples again (super popular around here), and a game called dirty minds. I won't go into that one. (Dad and Sally you would love it...but I will never play it with you!) We laughed, drank mulled cider and stayed up super late. We had so much fun!

We actually dressed up this year! We have always wanted to dress up. In the past Halloween has always been so stressful to me. Costumes are expensive and it felt like too much pressure to find a costume at the last minute. (We always procrastinated lol). Also, the dental offices I worked in always had some sort of theme, which can be fun but it does make it a little bit difficult. I always ended up with something weird and had to waste money on something I didn't want to be. In the long run the whole thing just became stressful.
This year on the other hand we were able to do whatever the heck we wanted with no pressure. It ended up being super easy and way fun! (Also cheap!)
Josh went as a Zombie and I dressed up like a Lion. The only thing we spent money on was a little Halloween make-up palate for about $3.00. More pictures are on the website.
All in all it was a great month. The weather literally turned over night. We had 60 degree weather for trick-or-treaters and it has now dropped down into the 30's. We even had a skiff of snow and I have to say I honestly don't mind. Surprising I know! I am SO ready for Christmas! Josh won't let me set up for Christmas until thanksgiving...can I go with the Canadian one?
I have a list of Christmas cd's I am going to buy this year and can't wait to play them, drink hot chocolate and play in the snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts :)